February 03, 2007

Morph

The word Morph is described in the dictionary as follows;-

MORPH (morf) n, Linguistics. A Morpheme, or the phonelogical representation of a morpheme. [Back formation from Morpheme.] MORPH-. Variant of morpho-.


MORPHO-, MORPH- comb. form. Indicates: 1. A shape, form, or structure; for example, morphogenises, morphology. 2. A morpheme; for example, morphophonemics. [German, from Greek, from morphe, shape.]


''Mmmm, mm, mmmm, nmumsm, hu,mhms mhny'' in various pitches was the only thing that you would here from this little clay fugure.

At 6inch tall, 'Morph' was a favorite t.v character on Tony Harts art programme. Almost mute, the only way the audience could understand him was from the activities he would perform and his little movements. He also had the ability to change shape and could roll around in a the shape of a ball or melt under things only to reform into Morph.
image from www.toonhound.com/morph.htm


To summarise, the word Morph is explained as a linguistic function in the first instance. Later, it seems that by changing the word itself, by I guess, morphing the word Morph, it takes on a differnet agenda. These adaptions, a few of which are noted in the above definitions, still remain linked to its Greek origin, which means shape.

5 comments:

Rie said...

Hi Sarah,

I remember Morph as a kid, in fact, the headmistress's daughter forced me to take part in a 'Morph' play at her 10th birthday party. I was Chas, of course. I've never quite recovered from the experience...

Rie

The Collective said...

Have you made a chaz, Sarah? Is it in your studio space? Or have I had a very odd, but relevent, dream?

Amy

Sera said...

Who's Chas? and why is he in your dreams Amy?

Sera said...

Thanks Rie and Amy for your comments.

A Morph play! That sounds fantastic. Was it in mute then. I thought Morph and Chas were both mute? Actually, didn't they try to speak but made funny little noises - it's all coming back to me now (as Celine Dion once sung).
Now thinking about it, Morph's a bit of a funny ensemble, a figure, derived and described by text in an art form that is kind of silent. Perhaps Tony Hart is either very clever or very confused or both.
It sounds as though playing the part of Chas is a lot better then having to play the role of a sheep in David and Golieth!

Thanks Amy for noticing my little clay figure. Finding Morph again inspired me to play with modelling clay. I was actually trying to make morph but I didn't have any terracotta clay. Terracotta is quite a meaningful word isn't it. It's either terra or cotta that means earth I think? Just remembered from a crossword. Anyway, um yes, I like the idea that you can make the clay look so hard when its so flexible (in other words you can morph the material) I tried to make a stone that he sat on and tried to 'engrave' it with 'set in stone' but in the heat of the studio he is slowly losing his limbs:(

Wendy said...

Poor thing, he makes a sad sight now! Am Im making up memories, or is there one Morph when he melts - thus submitting to the nature of his material?! I know you can find some on Youtube, and theres one somewhere wheere someone has ripped it off, and got the two of them beatingecaah other up . . . I'll have a look! x